Plugging/redrilling Steinway letoff rail

Tue Sep 29 14:12 MDT 1998

Ron,

I would support replacement, rather than repair, depending on the
number of plugs/etc, necessary.  If you are going to have to do more
than a dozen or so, I think I'd go with replacement.

As to replacement rails from S&S.  My experience is that current production
models are _generally_ ok, but that, for out of production (or, for that
matter, pre-WWI), drill your own.  The only really hard part about that
is coming up with a reasonably accurate scale stick, and that you can
make from your carefully removed original.  (Or, as Julia Child used to
say, "with the very tip of your immaculately clean finger."  Well, ok,
but, it's the same kind of idea.)

Alignment for soldering can be accomplished several ways, all of which
seem to work.  After trying several methods, I have wound up using what
used to be called a Lineman's Iron - 250 Watts, big enough to do the
work without running the risks associated with gas.

Patience (with one's self, in my case) seems to be the main key.

NOTE = For those waiting for me to finish with formatting that
large thesis document, thanks for bearing with me.  The file itself
is not large, 150k, but it amounts to about 60 pages.  Some mail
readers do not want to see things that are much larger than 35-40K,
so I am trying to get that worked out as well.  Another couple
of days should get it done.  I do think that it is good information,
I am not quite sure that I don't think that the writer fails on his
premise.

More later.

Best.

Horace