Plugging/redrilling Steinway letoff rail

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 07:57 MDT 1998

>I'm wondering about the feasibility of plugging and redrilling the letoff
>rail on a Steinway D.  Anyone have experience with that..
>Ron Torrella, RPT

I haven't done a whole rail on a D, Ron, but have plugged and redrilled
several places of where you mention.  Based on that little experience,
doing a whole rail is very feasible.  Determining the size and length of
the plug materials, taking adequate time/care, and having a method for
drill alignment in redrilling the plugs will produce excellent results.

Keith McGavern
kam544@earthlink.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731