Concert grand carriage

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Thu Sep 24 20:19 MDT 1998

List  -

Since Danny Dover has not weighed in on this topic.....   (He's just returned
from vacation and is catching up, I'm sure.)

At Dartmouth's Hopkins Center they have a transporter for their principal
performance piano (Hamburg D) which sounds like a hybrid of the ones advocated
by Horace.  It lifts the whole piano, could be done by one person, but they
usually use two because of the slalom course they have to negotiate.  The
piano shuttles back and forth between the concert hall and the climate-
controlled faculty studio where it otherwise lives.  (Other pianos on
conventiional stage trucks are more readily available for the less demanding
performances.)

The piano seems better acoustically and mechanically when standing directly on
the stage "on its own three feet".  And it gives a "just right" visual
impression you cannot otherwise achieve.

I hope Danny will junp in now to fill in the details.  Danny?

   -     Tom McNeil, RPT     -
Vermont Piano Restorations