Concert grand carriage

Eric Wolfley eric.wolfley@uc.edu
Thu Sep 24 11:14 MDT 1998

Hi Guys,

We have an ancient Colson piano carriage under a Baldwin SD-10 which has
bent with all the weight on it over time enough to cause the wheels to
"toe-in". This makes it extemely difficult to push in a straight line or
even to push it at all, and also makes it easier for the stage hands to
crash it into walls, doorways, other pianos, etc. I've tightened everything
as tight as it will go, and it is still this bad. Looking at the other 6
trucks under concert grands here I notice that they are all bent, and I know
none of them roll very well (or at least as well as I would like) I think if
they rolled easier and straighter, there would be less cabinet damage to
them over time. They also bounce a little bit when being played, and though
nobody has ever complained to me about this, it seems like it would bother a
pianist and even rob energy transmission.

I think we probably have a pretty fair representation of all the various
makes sold by the supply houses except for the one called "Schroeder's
classic carriage" Does anybody have any experience with this brand? Are they
beefier or more stable than the others?

Thanks!

Eric Wolfley RPT
University of Cincinnati