piano tech. position

Vince Mrykalo vince@byu.edu
Wed Sep 23 11:44 MDT 1998

Hi Don,
At Brigham Young University we have 56 grands, 140 uprights in the school
of music. 4 of them are used for concerts. 45 are practice room pianos.
Additionally there are 254 pianos (20 grands, 234 uprights) in and around
campus that are university owned in which we hire someone part time to take
care of, but which ocasionally we have to do too.  Also we have 4
harpsichords to take care of.  We have around 300+ recitals a year.  There
are two full-time technicians to take care of the 196 pianos, 4
harpsichords, and the occasional outside job around campus, which is mostly
repair stuff, of which we do maybe twice a month.  We have currently 84
piano majors, including graduate students,  and 750 undergraduate music
majors all together.

At 04:04 PM 9/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>List,
>
>The time has arrived for me to make my best justification for adding
>another piano technician position here at Ithaca College. The addition to
>the music building will be complete next spring and there will be more
>pianos to service.
>
>One of the primary arguments will be the number of pianos per technician.
>Also, these numbers compared to the number of piano majors. If anyone is
>willing to share their numbers with me I would be most grateful.
>Don McKechnie
>dmckech@ithaca.edu

Vince Mrykalo RPT MPT IPT BAMus ha ha
vince@byu.edu