Piano tech. position

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Sep 22 15:38 MDT 1998

Don,

At our school we have 120 pianos, 2 harpsichords, and only one technician.
I also spent some time with the builder of our new pipe organ to be able to
do minor tuning and repairs.  That's been fun but I may have opened a can
of worms there.  I don't know the figures on students vs. majors.  We have
eighty practice rooms and a joke of a heating/air system.  Post your
findings if you don't mind.

Craig,

Say hi to Joe Butler for me.

thanks,
chris

>Original message from Don McKechnie:
>(clipped)
>>One of the primary arguments will be the number of pianos per
>technician.
>>Also, these numbers compared to the number of piano majors. If anyone
>is
>>willing to share their numbers with me I would be most grateful. Send
>>privately if you wish...
>
>Hi Don,
>
>Here are the numbers for my university:
>  1. 87 pianos (in music building, there are approx. 13 others scattered
>across     campus)
>  2. 3 harpsichords
>  3. 36 piano majors, 225 music majors total (many of whom use the
>pianos)
>  4. 1 piano technician
>
>I would be very interested in whatever results you get from this and the
>database that you mentioned, as I am pushing for assistance here. I am
>normally so busy doing tuning and concert work that I have very little
>time for rebuilding, rehammering, regulating, etc.  A little help would
>vastly improve our maintenance program.
>
>Regards,
>
>Craig Waldrop, R.P.T.
>Department of Music
>Texas Christian University
>c.waldrop@tcu.edu

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429