Actions & Injuries (Responses)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun Sep 20 12:45 MDT 1998

List,

   Below are the responses to my post about whether to inform the pianist
of a potential for damage from a heavy action piano. This was a
continuation of Ron Torellas' post about High(!) touchweight.
   It's a little long, but I think most of you will enjoy reading the
comments.

Avery

Avery Todd writes about the problem of heavy actions and its possible
effect on pianists.

As I write this, Wheaton's resident piano technician is here with me in my
studio, working on the Steinway B in which he recently replaced the
hammers, to make absolutely sure that the instrument will not be too heavy
either for myself or my students.  I won't stop bugging him about it until
the job is done.

Like several of the respondents in the discussion Avery forwarded to us, I
am not a fan of heavy actions, which seemed to be rather in vogue when I
was a student in the 1970's.  Particularly as I have discovered the
pleasures of 18th- and 19th-century Viennese actions, I have become
convinced that a pianist can learn to control nuance much more easily on a
relatively lightly weighted action than is possible with a heavy one, and
that the injury potential of a heavy action is too great to justify any
possible benefits.  Given the weight of the action on the "Horowitz"
Steinway, which we have discussed on this list, and the similar weights of
turn-of-the-century pianos on both sides of the Atlantic (I'm thinking
particularly of an 1890-ish Erard grand in the Frederick Collection), it
seems to me that the heavy action is a modern anomaly whose time should be
passing.

I certainly agree that enlightened pianists and technicians should work
together to warn people of potentially injurious situations, and to lobby
institutions for the kind of money necessary to keep their pianos in proper
repair.  Alas, it's far easier to put an ostentatious brass plaque on a
piano than on a piano technician, but proper regulation is absolutely
essential.

Daniel

I have read this material on the newsgroup and now, on this list.  I
have a question.  Thousands of piano players have used grands for over
one hundred years, including my own relatives.  None of them complained
of any carpal tunnel syndromes...for that matter neither did the stenos
with whom I worked for thirty five years.  I also questioned a lot of
piano players in the 40s and 50s and they all swore by the heavy touch
of the grand pianos.  They all, without exception, dissed the touch of
uprights.  So my question is are we responding to some sort of mass
hysteria in this regard or were our immediate forebears physically more
durable?

I would guess that the problems being experienced are due to faulty
technique...not high key board pressure.  It is interesting that this
concept in piano is following immediately, by a few years, the idea
among guitarists that the strings should be so close to the fingerboard
that they will hit the next fret if you play strongly...this works
thanks to 300 watt amplifiers.

I do know that high string placement on the guitar produces cleaner
playing and I, of course, have heard the same thing from pianists about
the heavy actions of the grands.

Tom

>I have read this material on the newsgroup and now, on this list.  I
>have a question.  Thousands of piano players have used grands for over
>one hundred years, including my own relatives.  None of them complained
>of any carpal tunnel syndromes...

Tain't necessarily so.  One need only look back to the case of Scriabin.
If the homework in Barrie Martyn's book on Sergei Rachmaninov (or as the
book spells it, Rachmaninoff) is correct, even the great one himself
complained of various hand and wrist pains in his later years.

>I also questioned a lot of
>piano players in the 40s and 50s and they all swore by the heavy touch
>of the grand pianos.  They all, without exception, dissed the touch of
>uprights.

So do I.  The action of a well-regulated Viennese fortepiano or
turn-of-the-century concert grand is a very different thing than that of
most uprights.  I don't consider them an acceptable substitute in most
cases.

>So my question is are we responding to some sort of mass
>hysteria in this regard or were our immediate forebears physically more
>durable?

Speaking only for myself, I've been thinking about this situation for over
two decades, and any hysteria I may have had at the beginning has long
since subsided in favor of calm and careful reflection.

>I would guess that the problems being experienced are due to faulty
>technique...not high key board pressure.

No doubt, faulty technique can be a factor.  I was doing some ridiculously
macho "Juilliard jock" practicing when I injured myself 20+ years ago, and
have been re-directing my technical approach ever since.  However, I also
think that the preference for heavy actions CAN (though it certainly isn't
always) be another manifestation of the "Juilliard jock" syndrome.  Piano
playing is difficult enough already.  Why place needless barriers in the
way?

Daniel

> They all, without exception, dissed the touch of
> uprights.

That is another matter - the difference in actions between grands and
uprights. But, there are grands and there are grands. I am not sure when
the heavier action came into vogue, but I do remember in grad school in
the 60's, we had one very stiff 9' Steinway and one lighter action 9'
Steinway. I avoided the former like the plague. One of the faculty swore
by the stiff actioned-one (he picked it out) - and guess whose students
ended up with tendinitis?

> So my question is are we responding to some sort of mass
> hysteria in this regard or were our immediate forebears physically more
> durable?

No mass hysteria. While carpal tunnel was not known about so much in the
50's and 60's, certainly tendinitis was common. The only thing was, no
one admitted to it - but there were some careers that were brought to an
end as a result of it - and "playing through the pain". Furthermore,
medical doctors knew nothing about performing arts injuries - they
couldn't imagine how one could hurt oneself playing an instrument. It
really wasn't until the advent of Sports Medicine, that the field of
Arts Medicine took hold. There are still many doctors who are ignorant
of the matters associated with the latter.

Perhaps people are more fragile today, but I doubt it. A lot of people
are doing double duty on computer keyboards these days.

> I would guess that the problems being experienced are due to faulty
> technique...not high key board pressure.

I doubt that was always the case, but the possibility of injury from a
faulty technique would certainly be exacerbated by a stiff action.

> It is interesting that this
> concept in piano is following immediately, by a few years, the idea
> among guitarists that the strings should be so close to the fingerboard
> that they will hit the next fret if you play strongly...this works
> thanks to 300 watt amplifiers.
>
> I do know that high string placement on the guitar produces cleaner
> playing and I, of course, have heard the same thing from pianists about
> the heavy actions of the grands.

Again, I think one could confuse a heavy action with a well-regulated
action. One does, indeed, need a feeling of resistance from the keys, so
one knows where the escapement point is in order to have tonal control
over finely executed articulation and refined pianississimos - but that
doesn't require a heavy action.

Kathie

> However, I also
> think that the preference for heavy actions CAN (though it certainly isn't
> always) be another manifestation of the "Juilliard jock" syndrome.  Piano
> playing is difficult enough already.  Why place needless barriers in the
> way?

	The problem with this thinking is that most pianists cannot choose
the piano on which they will perform. Often they haven't even tried it until
just before the performance. There are many heavy action pianos out there in
performance spaces. I think it would be easier to adjust down than up.
Therefore, given the choice, I would rather do most of my practicing on a
heavy action piano, and make sure my technique can handle it. This is
practicality, not jockism.

	Stan, who always looks for a particular VERY hard action piano on
Juilliard's 4th floor

I have performed on all types of pianos (including ones with no pedal, ones
with strings missing, ones with keys missing, one that was tuned a whole
tone lower and out of relative tune, ones with broken legs, ones that stood
on a slanted stage, you name it...)

Obviously performed on all possible types of actions, from the lightest to
the hardest. I am powerful in my playing to which some listers can
(do) attest. I also don't have a faulty technique. I never had carpal tunnel
syndromes, or God forbid any trouble with my hands. I can manage any piano,
yet I do not like a hard action piano.

Regards,
Rami