Double Striking Hammers

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri Sep 18 11:50 MDT 1998

Hi Avery:

After carefully setting letoff, drop, springs, drop, aftertouch, etc.,
sometimes we will find that on a very soft blow the hammer will bobble or
hit the strings a second time. When all the other things are right, the
letoff may be just a little too close. My standard is to set the letoff as
high as possible just short of the double bounce produced by a soft blow
with stiff finger. If the jack is too far under the knuckle, this could
exacerbate the problem. And, or course, if the springs are too strong, they
could also be contributors. It doesn't matter how much extra aftertouch you
have if on a soft blow the jack does not even escape from the knuckle. This
is where you have to do something about the letoff being too high.

Jim Coleman, Sr.