Double Striking Hammers

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri Sep 18 11:10 MDT 1998

List,

   I'm having a minor problem on one of our 'D's with hammers that sometime
double strike a little on very soft blows. The key(s) are being played all
the way down but the hammers don't go into check on that soft a blow. So
some bounce back up enough to sometimes "bubble" very softly.
   It's happened before on another piano but I've always been able to change
a little here, a little there, and manage to stop it. However, I've never
really understood why it happens or what regulation adjustment would be
*most* likely to stop it. Or is it a combination of things: like rep spring
too strong, drop too little or too much? Dip? Something else? Comments?
   Thanks.

Avery