High(!) touchweight

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri Sep 18 06:01 MDT 1998

Ron,
Something to consider, instead of resetting the capstan for the purpose
of a lower touchweight, reset it for the purpose of getting the wippen to
travel
optimally in it's arc so the jack is just in front of the knuckle when the
key is at
the bottom of the keystroke.

So before  you move the capstan, observe the location of the jack with the key
depressed. If it is being buried into the stop felt at the end of the
balancier, you
have sufficient grounds to reset, of course the action needs to be
regulated to
fully determine this.

Lower t/w is a by-product of moving the capstan. I've had occasions to need to
move the capstans towards the back of the key. The KR in those cases was .45
to .48. The jack wasn't clearing the knuckle enough and I did not want to
increase
the key dip.

On one B, I moved a few samples 1/4" forwards and still did not get a short
enough
arc motion on the wippen. The customer did not want the expense of
relocating the
wippen cushions so I shortened the dip slightly and brought the L/O as
close as I could
without running into problems with humidity changes. On this piano you
could observe
a 1/16" space between the f/r punching and the key at the time the jack was
buried into
the stop felt. Talk about stressing the jack glue joint.

So if you want to move something to affect touchweight, try the knuckle.
Moving that
from 15.5mm to 17 (if appropriate) has dramatic results. In the few tests I
have done
it even lowered the friction. With the knuckle closer to the center pin, it
has inherent
friction qualities.

First time in CAUT, even though I mostly service the 20 pianos at the
Cape Cod Conservatory of Music and Art is that college and university enough?

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)