High(!) touchweight

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu Sep 17 19:40 MDT 1998

Dear Ron,

I would be interested to learn which knuckle placement this set of shanks
have, i.e. (Renner USA designations) "original dimension" (15.5mm),
"modified" (16.2mm), or "Hamburg dimension" (17mm) (which is also the
dimension used on new American Steinways [so-called "Improved"] and most
other major manufacturers I have examined).  If it is the "original
dimension", you could cut off the original knuckles and install new Renner
knuckles 1.5mm back from their location, saving about $600.00 on the Turbo
reps (sorry Lloyd) and taking little additional time once you are set up
for this operation.

If you have similar results to those I have experienced, you will be able
to remove one or two large leads from most of the keys and still have ideal
touch weight specifications.  You may have to increase the dip and perhaps
narrow the blow in order to achieve acceptable aftertouch, but you can
remain within factory specs, i.e. .420 dip and 1 3/4" dip as opposed to a
.390 dip and 1 7/8" blow.

We have made extraordinary transformations of quite similar situations to
the one you described through this method.  I now install only the
"modified" dimension (mostly on M's & L's) and "Hamburg dimension" (B's &
D's) shanks and save ourselves all the headaches you have experienced.

Regards,

Charles

Charles K. Ball, RPT
School of Music