Playing the Piano, Playing...with Fire

Thu Sep 17 16:50 MDT 1998

Ed, Avery and List,

I have the document, and am editing it for email transmission.

I certainly agree that I find it difficult to believe that the author is
giving it away, but that _does seem_ (two conditionals in a row, there) to
be the case.

Anway, the document downloads as an ANSI (not ASCII) document with pretty
poor formatting.  I will have it up in WP8 and Word7 formats by next week.
Interested parties should contact me directly.

Further, my initial (which is not to say conclusive or final) reading
leaves me with several conclusions, one of which is that, once again, folks
with a modicum of knowledge (in this cased well-intentioned MDs) are plying
their trade in uncharted seas.  I immediately admit to a strong prejudice,
as my own tuning was disrupted (briefly, if dramatically) by a similarly
well-intentioned Feldendreis/Alexander instructor.  While my own injuries
related to lower left arm issues (read: "I tune really, really hard"), most
of the studies out their (so far) of RIS/RTS injuries are so busy dealing
with a pre-existing injury situation that they manage to miss the point
that, in order to produce certain kinds of results, certain kinds of
movements are necessary - e.g., there is a reason why
pianists/violinists/violists who desire to produce a certain kind of tone
wind up with certain kinds of injuries.

Further still, again from first reading, the _only_ example in which the
"weight" of the action of a piano is presented as a problem is the famous
Paderewski v. Steinway story (no, not litigation, but it would have been
nowdays).

I strongly disagree that the mere amount of mass/inertia of a given action
is the specific culprit in these discussion.  For many years, actually for
most years of it's production, the official touchweight of the S&S was 54
grams.  In my over 30 years of concert work, there has been a consistently
visible phenomenon/dividing line between folks who can/cannot, do/do not
appreciate this kind of action.  That is, people who grew up in the more
"traditional" schools of piano playing understand that there is, among
other things, work involved in performance, and that the piano as perceived
by the audience will be significantly different from the same piano
perceived from the keyboard.  The other group is, by and large, the folks
who have grown up in the post-1960 era of recording, in which, somehow,
listeners expect that the sound of the instrument is magically supposed to
be, at all possible locations, the same as the sound of the instrument at a
few inches from the strings.  The damage done to live performance, let
alone recording, by these changes is simply monstrous to the point of being
virtually indefinable.

Note that nothing in the above condones, let alone approves, the
touchweight of instruments with which we have all had to fight.  On the
other hand, we seem to be (finally) coming to to a point where the younger
pianists of some schools/teachers seem, once again, to be able to see the
piano action as something other than a series of 88 on/off switches.

Obviously, I have no opinions, whatsoever, on these subjects...

Best!

Horace

At 01:57 PM 9/17/1998 -0600, you wrote:
>Avery & List-
>
>That is the address at which I found it, several months ago.  I learned
>of it from one of the lists on the PianoPage, under the topic 'Music
>Medicine'  Since I don't have internet access at this time, I can't
>follow up there.
>
>The document of which I wrote is a hundred page Masters Thesis on the
>history of piano caused hand injuries and the various treatment modalities
>being used for them.  When I copied it I thought 'I can't believe this
>guy is giving this away.'
>
>I hope someone can find it, and am sorry if I led you up a blind alley.
>
>-Ed Sutton
> NLU-

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer