High(!) touchweight

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Thu Sep 17 15:50 MDT 1998

I've done a little bit of experimenting with capstan location using a gig
similar to the one Del described. (See below for a description.) The
results are interesting.

NOTE: This is another B [#352489] that has the same leverage problem.
Renner wips and shanks, NY hammers, Pratt-Read keyboard, "accelerated
action" (read "lotsa lead!"). Essentially, the same keyboard as the one I
mentioned before, only this one has Renner parts. The key bushing are new
and eased correctly.  The centers on the shanks and wips are loose --
probably will be re-pinned because they're outside of "shop tolerance."
The piano was restrung this summer, oversized pins, original pinblock.
Given that small amount of background....

I removed capstans at No.s 1, 20, 21, 37, 51, 68 & 88, but because I had a
short amount of time to work with, I only managed to get through the first
five. On #1, the original capstan location downweight was 64, up was 36. I
moved the capstan location 1/8" toward the balance rail and got 60 down,
34 up.  Not bad, but not close enough to ideal for me. Note #20, moved
1/8" only got me to 59 and 31. Note #21 was a distaster.  Had to move the
capstan 1/4" and that *only* got me down to 59 and 30.  Note #37 went down
to 60 and 38 with 1/8" movement.  And note #51 only got to 53 and 28 at
1/8".

Can't move capstans any more than 3/16" without the capstan contacting
wood. 1/8" would be fine, except it means drilling out the capstan holes
*oversized*, plugging and redrilling.  If I didn't oversize the old holes,
drilling new ones would be straddling old and new wood.  If I used pine
plugs (not dowels....plugs cut from scrapped keyboards), I *may* be able
to get away with "normal"  sized plugs, but there's still a glue joint to
deal with. (Have I started splitting hairs yet?)

I'm contemplating the option of a combination of things; move the capstans
no more than 3/16" *and* swap small keyleads for medium or large ones. The
net result would be a lighter touch (improved leverage), but a slightly
heavier keyboard (on the order of 150-200grams or 5-7 lbs, overall, is a
guess).

The other option is to install those "turbo" wippens from Renner.  I tried
a few of those and they're pretty slick.  The manhours involved with
re-pinning and regulating those wippens would be about the same as the
current wippens (I don't think that stuff has been done yet).

Anyone wanna hazard a guess at which route will take longer?

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan
School of Music