Horace Help

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed Sep 16 23:11 MDT 1998

Horace, I've been trying for years to get my points across as succinctly as
Vince Mrykalo. He's my model, but it's not going to happen! So, as one
rambler to another, I submit that verbose replies are the lesser evil to
file attachments. Considering multiple platforms, and the fact that all of
us have just so much time to devote to our beloved lists (and don't like
calling up outside routines just to read a message), these should be used
as a last resort. So, before going there, you might try simply "tightening
up" some other things.

For instance, your margins [example 1] are narrower than other posts on the
list. Most users have word-wrap toggled on, so you should not have to worry
about that on your end. There's also a lot of air, redundancy, and fluff
[Example 2] at the end of your messages (17 lines is longer than many
entire messages, 'cept for mine). This is NOT a flame -- just trying to help!

At 12:43 PM 9/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
[Example 1]
>Some folks have reported having trouble reading some of my [YOUR margin]
>(perhaps longer) posts.  I am happy to try to attach things,
>instead of writing lengthy posts, if this would be of any value.

[Example 2]
0 Thanks! [closing and free-space, for reference]
1 [air]
2 [air]
3 Horace [one name]
4 [air]
5 [air]
6 [air]
7 Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT [name again]
8 [air]
9 [air]
10 Systems Analyst/Engineer [fluff]
11 Controller's Office  [fluff]
12 Stanford University  [fluff]
13 [air]
14 [air]
15 email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu [available from header info]
16 voice mail: 650.725.9062 [yeah, I'm gonna call you instead of E-mail]
17 fax: 650.725.8014 [I'll "call" you if I want to know this <G>]

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net