Privacy in the workplace

michael wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Wed Sep 16 21:04 MDT 1998

My immediate supervisor, the head technician here, is Eric Wolfley, Rpt. He was
hired here to take the place of Rolf von Walthausen.  Rolf had been in that
position for nearly 15 years.  I have worked for fifteen years also and had
applied for Rolf's job but instead Eric got it.  Eric had applied for the job
thinking that I would get the head position and he would take my job as I moved
up.

Well needless to say the head of the piano dept. and the Assistant Dean in
charge of password procurement and compliance decided that Eric's three piece
suit (it was also about 15 years old) looked better than the one I wore.

I think they felt that a new person  would be more likely to be one which could
be fashioned into a good employee beholden to the powers.  As it turns out Eric
defended my position in several lengthy conversations.  What these
administrators and department heads don't realize is that piano technicians are
by their very nature independent, self motivated, and smart people.

So as far as I know only Eric and I have protested. The rest of her subjects
don't want to rock the boat.

Eric has come to a short term solution.  We will place our user names as well
as our passwords in a sealed envelope that is to only be opened only in an
emergency and kept in a safe.  Meanwhile I am waiting for a reply from the
University's Ombudswoman's office about how to deal with this grievance.  I am
also planning to contact the the computing systems administrator.  I will keep
you informed.

For sure I will have some other type of email service as soon as I get around
to it.  I can get free email service from a variety of services such as
Netscape WebMail.  But I think I will prefer something like
michael.wathen@wapin.com!

The new Wapin Piano Bridge CD will be realeased next week.  It will be
classical piano music from Haydn and Chopin to Debussy and Rachmoninov.  This
will be a piano technicians piano CD.  A must for every technician it features
two Wapin pianos: a 5'2" Baldwin and a Steinway D both with the new Wapin
technology.  More info is available on the web site.

I will be glad to send out orders and bill you for them later provided that you
are a member of the Piano Technicians Guild. The cost of the CD is $15 post
paid.  You may email me your order.  Indicate the shipping address.

Thanks.