Privacy in the workplace

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed Sep 16 16:39 MDT 1998

Michael,

   I too think it's a very unusual request for all the reasons that have
already been posted.
   I took the liberty of sending a question about it to the writers of a
service called TOURBUS (The Internet TourBus - A virtual tour of cyberspace)
who is very 'up' on all things internet. Although I'm not sure how campus
security would be involved, with his permission, this was his response:

>It's a VERY unusual request, and I would be suspicious as to the
>reasoning behind it.  If such a thing were demanded of me, I would bring
>it to the attention of campus security and the people who run the
>computer services, to ask if this person is within her rights to ask for
>this information.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Rankin

   I'm going to see if I can find out something about it from here at
U of H tomorrow. Very interesting subject.

Avery

P.S.    In case anyone is interested, below is the subscription information
for TOURBUS. Most of the informative type of things I've occasionally
posted to the pianotech list were from there. It's really great.

>My supervisor an assistant dean for our school has formally requested
>that everyone in her charge deliver to her by a certain date their
>respective email usernames and passwords.  She says they will be kept in
>a secure place and used only in the event of an emergency.  I responded
>in email saying that I was uncomfortable giving this information to
>anyone.  I stated that I use email for work, family, and an education
>degree.  If an emergency came about then I suggested that she contact
>the administrator of email services for the university with a request
>for the information.  She is insisting that I must comply with her
>wishes and says that everything that comes through the server at the
>university is univeristy property.
>
>I have to admit I am stunned!  What do you guys think.

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-98, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved
            Archives on the Web at http://www.TOURBUS.com

 Join: Send SUBSCRIBE TOURBUS Your Name to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
 Leave: Send SIGNOFF TOURBUS to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.AOL.COM