Privacy in the workplace

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 13:48 MDT 1998

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Don wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> I see no difference. Public funds are used in the University setting. So
> the public has the right to know. Last year a janitor at the local U.
> was fired (lucky for him) for having child porn on the system. I don't
> agree that department heads should have passwords of their minions
> however.

You're referring to a case where someone was breaking the law, though.
That's a whole different can of beans.

Public funding notwithstanding, I don't think "the public" possesses the
right to view private email transmissions any more than it possesses the
right to install cameras in public restroom stalls (to borrow someone
else's analogy).

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan