Privacy in the workplace

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:00 MDT 1998

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Horace Greeley wrote:

> Even if you believe your employer to be basically benign, they probably
> have some kind of system of which you have no knowledge.  Our systems
> group discovered the "backup" email system completely by accident.
> Surprise!  We were not amused, I am the only member who still uses
> University connections for their ISP.

Getting back to Michael's quandry, though, it's not so much a question of
can/will UC snoop on its users' network use.  Rather, it's a question of
who has what authority to know what.  And I strongly suspect that this
supervisor -- *unless* she's also the system administrator for his
department -- lacks the authority to demand password information.

> Our Ford is alive and well.

That's good. :-)

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician