Privacy in the workplace

Wed Sep 16 11:00 MDT 1998

Newton, et al,

At 12:08 9/16/98 -0400, you [I] wrote:
>"Perhaps she could have gently reminded her underlings that the e-mail
>account was, in fact, college property, and as such was subject to
>ossible/occasional/frequent/constant
>review by someone in a supervisory capacity."
>
>I disagree with this.

I disagree with the ability to do it, but it doesn't chang the fact that it
_is_ done.

>should be handled by established policy

Sorry, I was assuming that there was a policy already in place that allowed
him/her to do it, but that the stupidvisor could show Mike (or whoever else
might come under this rubric).

>services division, not by a low level administrator.

Ffffrrrrp... Sorry,  another indefinite antecedent...  I didn't say what
level admin would snoop, but presumably high enough to actually have the
power...and discression.

>Get this request in writing and send it to the Dean and computer
>services.

Yes.

I agree with Roger Jolly re:ego trip and possible ramifications.

That said however, I just came back from an Admin Staff meeting and happened
to sit next to a computer staff type, who reconfirmed e-mail recording. Also
confirmed daily downloading of same, so server doesn't crash..  I forgot to
ask how long they keep those tapes.  {J.B., you reading this?? - remember I
tune your _home_ piano, too.}

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer         Office - (319) 387-1204
Luther College            Music Dept Fax - (319) 387-1076
700 College Drive         hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045

       Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) of
   Digitally Activated Biopowered Tone Generation Systems
"If you have to plug it in, or you can't watch how it works,
                I don't work on it."