privacy

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:34 MDT 1998

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Allen Wright wrote:

> That's the situation here at Oberlin, too, and ever since I figured that
> out I decided to try not to write anything I wouldn't want my supervisor
> (or some anonymous person in the computer center) to read. Of course,
> that's a hard rule to remember to follow all the time.

Funny, I read this at the Oberlin web site just now...

"Under normal circumstances, College officials will not examine personal
information transmitted over the network or stored on College-owned
computers. However, the College reserves the right to monitor the system
**when it has good cause to believe that laws are being violated.**
Violation of College regulations and policies of local, state or federal
laws will result in College disciplinary action, including financial
restitution to the College for funds expended, or in civil or criminal
action." (emphasis added) [General Policies for Computer Use - Acceptable
Use of Computing Resources at Oberlin]

and

"Account holders should protect their passwords and keep them
confidential. Passwords should be changed frequently. Any problem
resulting from irresponsible use of a password (e.g., a password that can
be easily guessed or oral or written dissemination of a password) will be
treated as grounds for Center action against the account holder."
[General Policies for Computer Use - Use of Central Computers and Computer
Networks, E.]

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan