Privacy in the workplace

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 16 10:17 MDT 1998

At 08:41 AM 16/09/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Michael:
>
>This sounds very heavy handed at best.  Most places issue strong warnings
>about giving your passwords out to anyone.  I think the advice to give her
>the info, then change it is a pottibility.  At the very least I'd give it
>with the indication that is is given under strong protest.
>
>dave

Michael,
         I agree with Dave on this one, a thought has occured to me that in
Canada I could lodge a complaint with the labour standards board, or the
human rights board.  Just the mention of this will scare the pants off her,
but you have to ask your self what this could do to your long term working
relationship, and is it worth the trouble.  The  mens wash rooms are
University property, but you have a reasonable expectation of privacy,
under state and federal law.
  Sounds to me as if this person is on a power ego trip.  A protest letter
to the board of goveners, or you labour bargining group, could also be
effective, but again it would have to be done carefully and diplomatically.
  What type of person is she? Often this type of power monger will seek
revenge if you rock the boat, and will make your life a little uncomfortable.
Just some observations.
Roger
Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre