High(!) touchweight

Wed Sep 16 09:50 MDT 1998

Ron,

It's not likely that the balance rail location is off.  But the location of the
capstan line could well be.

Where is the plate?  That is, is the plate fairly far forward and the gap
between the front flange and the stretcher minimal?  Or is that gap fairly
wide?  The plate location will have determined the location of the action stack
and, subsequently, the overall geometry of the action.

Back in the days when I did a lot of this work -- mid 70s to mid 80s -- I ended
up making a small block with a capstan centered on it that I could slide back
and forth on the keys.  It's a simple device to make.  Make a block of maple
about 50 mm long, maybe 10 or 12 mm high and about 11 mm wide.  (I'm going by
memory here.  Check the actual dimensions.)  Drill and install a shortened
capstan in the center.  It should have small brass extensions on each side to
keep it located on the key body.  These extensions should have a hole or a slot
exactly in line with the c/l of the capstan.  You can then remove the original
capstans at the end keys -- I used #2 and #87 -- and slide this block under the
wippen as a substitute.  With the key travel set at 10 mm and the hammer travel
set at 44 mm you can slide this capstan block back and forth to find the best
location for the capstan line by observing both aftertouch and touch weight.
Once you have the capstan located where you want it, use the side hole or slot
to indicate the proper capstan line.  It doesn't take much practice to figure
out how to use the device.  It was not unusual to have to relocate the capstan
line by several mm on these pianos.

I'm assuming that you have done your prep work.  Good key bushings, properly
eased.  Good friction in the action centers -- i.e., not too tight or too
loose.  Knuckles cleaned of all graphite and other lubricating gunk and dusted
thoroughly with teflon powder.  Hammers of reasonable weight -- if they are
original Steinway hammers, this should not be a problem.  If they are some of
the Japanese localizes that were available back, it could be.

Regards,

Del