Privacy in the workplace

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed Sep 16 09:21 MDT 1998

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Horace,
>     Here in Michigan we have a law that says any school or university
> worker covered under state retirement plan and convicted of a
> misdemeanor connected with thier job can lose all of their retirement
> benefits.

A *misdemeanor*? I'll have to look that one up.

> If I surf the net or use this machine for personal e-mail, is
> there a record so that they could say I was "stealing university
> computer time" therefore lose all my retirement?  I wouldn't put it past
> them!!

Can you imagine the incredible amount of data that would have to be stored
in order to track where every single machine on the university's system
went on the web? The data that you receive, while surfing the web, is
stored on your machine's hard disk.  I can't imagine any network being set
up to record every URL resolved by web browsers on every machine on the
network!  Talk about a wealth of information! Egads.

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan
School of Music