Privacy in the workplace

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed Sep 16 09:03 MDT 1998

Horace Greeley wrote:

  You employer has a recognized legal interest
> in anything that touches their network, .   , keeping, on
> a separate server _all_ incoming and outgoing email from _all_ sources.
> That is, the one thing which I can be absolutely sure of being able
> to restore, when a user bombs their machine, is their email.

Horace,
    Here in Michigan we have a law that says any school or university
worker covered under state retirement plan and convicted of a
misdemeanor connected with thier job can lose all of their retirement
benefits.  If I surf the net or use this machine for personal e-mail, is
there a record so that they could say I was "stealing university
computer time" therefore lose all my retirement?  I wouldn't put it past
them!!
-Mike Jorgensen