Privacy in the workplace

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Wed Sep 16 08:54 MDT 1998

        Reply to:   RE>Privacy in the workplace

I would never, ever, never give my password to anyone that  I didn't want to. I think her request is probably illegal. If it is not, go on line privately and only use your university account for university business.   Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

--------------------------------------
Date: 9/15/98 10.07 PM
To: Kenneth Sloane
From: caut@ptg.org
My supervisor an assistant dean for our school has formally requested
that everyone in her charge deliver to her by a certain date their
respective email usernames and passwords.  She says they will be kept in
a secure place and used only in the event of an emergency.  I responded
in email saying that I was uncomfortable giving this information to
anyone.  I stated that I use email for work, family, and an education
degree.  If an emergency came about then I suggested that she contact
the administrator of email services for the university with a request
for the information.  She is insisting that I must comply with her
wishes and says that everything that comes through the server at the
university is univeristy property.

I have to admit I am stunned!  What do you guys think.