Privacy in the workplace

michael wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Tue Sep 15 20:04 MDT 1998

My supervisor an assistant dean for our school has formally requested
that everyone in her charge deliver to her by a certain date their
respective email usernames and passwords.  She says they will be kept in
a secure place and used only in the event of an emergency.  I responded
in email saying that I was uncomfortable giving this information to
anyone.  I stated that I use email for work, family, and an education
degree.  If an emergency came about then I suggested that she contact
the administrator of email services for the university with a request
for the information.  She is insisting that I must comply with her
wishes and says that everything that comes through the server at the
university is univeristy property.

I have to admit I am stunned!  What do you guys think.