hammers: what kind of felt?

John Woodrow John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com
Mon Sep 7 18:50 MDT 1998

Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:09:56 -0600
From: Roger Jolly <baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca>
<snip>
  The two hardeners that I use are 5:1 laquer, or crushed chalk and acetone
mixture for lighter type toning, ironing with a warm voicing iron seems to
set and stabalise the treatment. Key top solution I reserve for treating
bass or lower tenor hammers, very liberal application below the 9 o'clock
point towards the hammer shank, in place of the grey reinforcing of
yesterday. the more that I use this approach, the more convinced I become
that we frequently work too high up on the hammer before seting a solid
foundation.  If you create a very solid bass to the hammer, there is more
leeway to play with the elasticity of the shoulders.
<<

Roger,
A couple of questions to clarify your approach.  Are you saying that
keytops and acetone is only really applicable for getting a solid
foundation to the back of hammers, and that lacquer is superior for
shoulders and maybe crown?

I am not familiar with the chalk and acetone.  Could you detail the
strength, and under what circumstances would you choose this mixture?  How
does it perform longer term (schoolboy images of a cloud of chalk dust when
beating a duster)?

Regards,
John Woodrow
Sydney, Australia