private liability

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Thu Oct 1 22:16 MDT 1998

Seem to me that *most* university administrations frown deeply when an
employee offers to take possession -- regardless of how brief -- of an
inventoried item.  That is, items whose replacement value exceeds x
dollars and aren't considered 'mobile.'  (As in a Macintosh G3 laptop
which, after all, is designed to be portable.)

Administratium aside, I think it sets a bad precedent for a piano to find
its way into the living room of a faculty member -- or any other employee,
for that matter.  To whom will you have to say, "No" next time?

Have you considered having current figures on hand when discussing the
value of the senior B? (Replacement cost, market value, cost  of replacing
board -- including all associated costs?

I can't believe that there's not a 3' X 8' area along a wall (basement?
away from furnace?) where you can store the piano for a spell.

If all else fails, see if the U would be willing/able to auction off the
piano (sealed bids) and use the money for a new instrument.

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Greg Granoff wrote:

> Dear CAUT,
>
> I'm curious to know if anyone out there has dealt with this, and if so,
> what (if any) solution was found.
> Have a fine old vintage Steinway B with a very tired soundboard
> (but quite solid in other structures)  that is losing its place to a
> donated instrument of equal caliber and a nice fresh sound.  With
> literally no piano replacement budget, I consider this instrument
> irreplaceable, needing only the soundboard work to be up to speed.
> Being incredibly squeezed for room, there is no place in the Dept. or on
> campus to store it -- set up or otherwise.
> My contention is that the University should retain ownership, but find a
> piano baby sitter (faculty hands are already waving eagerly in the
> air).  The Chair is against this -- feels it is inappropriate due to
> liability issues, and doesn't agree with me that the value of the
> instrument given our circumstances outweighs such a concern.  Arguments
> about how even soundboard work is  peanuts compared to complete
> replacement of a piano of this caliber are meeting deaf ears.
>
> Is there a solution that would let us keep the piano and satisfy
> liability issues that's being overlooked?  (I'm sure the faculty in
> question would be willing to show evidence of putting the instrument on
> their homeowners insurance, or whatever was appropriate.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg Granoff  RPT
> Humboldt State University

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician
University of Michigan		   "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music						--Jimmy Durante
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)