Plugging/redrilling Steinway letoff rail

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu Oct 1 06:14 MDT 1998

At 11:27 PM 9/30/98 +0000, you wrote:
>On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:14:48 -0400 (EDT), Ron Torrella wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering about the feasibility of plugging and redrilling the letoff
>>rail on a Steinway D.  Anyone have experience with that or advise to the
>>contrary? I don't care for the notion of removing the rail and replacing
>>it, wholesale, but if that's the better route and someone knows a
>>foolproof way of accomplishing it, I'm sure my colleague will be
>>impressed.  Thanks!
>>
>>Ron Torrella, RPT

I'm going to ChArge right in and offer this possible solution.
Remove an eyescrew, swab the hole with  _tada_  CA glue.

Medium consistancy, maybe thick, let dry, drill if needed.
lube the screw with CPL, install. Don't worry, be happy.

Or was the brass split badly too.

BTW, M&H BB setup and will do the 'flex test' to that rail as well today,
news at 11.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)