loose pinning in Renner butterfly springs

Thu May 7 09:02 MDT 1998

David,

Probably just about everyone who has used any of these
parts has this problem, potentially.

For all of it's highly touted superiority, hornbeam, as used
in (most) piano parts these days, has some (to me, anyway)
serious drawbacks, the two worst offendors being mass
and porosity.

Mass you simply have to ignore or work out ways to reduce.

Porosity issues vary as greatly as the micro-environments in
which we all exist.

My own solution, is to cook the new parts in a specially built
box (a contraption devised by David Vanderlip).  This artful
construct is actually designed to hold even an Imperial stack,
is constructed from 3/8" ply, and, in mine, has four 50 Watt
DamppChaser rods.  These latter are set up with one each
in the middle of the bottom and the top, and two low on either
side.  There is a square hole in either end, through which go
not only the cords for the rods, but also air from the old-fashioned
"hatbox" style hair dryer.  This is truly a wonderful device.
An overnight experience for a troublesome stack in that
heat will show up all sorts of nastiness.

Anyway, for new parts, I heat them, then size the bushings, then
heat them again, then repin whatever is falling out.  Then,
Heaven forefend, I use a Silicone and  Naptha solution to
help to seal the wood.  (Yep, it creeps.  No, I don't care; and,
neither should you.  What matters to the player is "does it
work" not, "does it last 100 years".  Yes, I know that this is
a minority view.  But, I don't have to go back to do very
much repinning later.)

At that point, chances are you will know if/how much things
are loose to an unacceptable level.  Often, the center pins
holding in the springs are offenders.  Clearly, these should
not get the Silicone treatment.  Instead, I most often simply
glue them in place with a glue sizing.  Remember that this
pin is, in effect, not a pivot point, but acts only to hold the
spring (relatively) in place.  Besides, unless one has
seriously screwed up, there is bushing cloth all the way
around it.  (The glue sizing I use is thick enough not to
carry the glue into that area.  If it _does_ get there, you
get the _most_ annoyingly difficult to find clicking...ask
me now I know this...)

Anyway, your method sound just fine to me, and is certainly
a darn sight less work.  Sorry to have not responded to your
earlier post.

7,6,5,4,3,2,...(oops!  what comes after 2?)

Best.

Horace

At 09:30 AM 5/7/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Awhile back I posted a question (I think on Pianotech)
>concerning what to do to fix several sets of Renner wippens
>that had centerpins walking out of their bushings on a
>regular basis. It occurs only in the bushing holding the
>spring in place. I never saw any responses, but I did figure
>out a solution (I tried repinning,and the new pins came out
>just as fast). I used music wire inserted though the bushing
>and then bent in a U shape, to keep the springs in place. It
>doesn't look real pretty (reminds me of the beckets in a
>Hamilton) but I can't think of any problems likely to occur.
>In any case, it is reversable-simply cut one bend off and
>out it comes.
>Something to keep in mind if you ever see this problem. It
>only happened for a brief period of time, but I can't be the
>only tech who ordered parts with this problem.
>Eight Days and Counting
>David Graham, RPT
>Northern Illinois University
>Dekalb Il