Hearing Problems

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue Mar 31 08:52 MST 1998

Avery Todd wrote:

> Ed,
>
>   I've been thinking about getting a decibel meter and taking readings in
> piano major practice rooms (and others with grands) to try and convince the

Hello all,
    I did this a few years back using a university audiologist and the
university health safety officer.  I had requested musicians ear plugs,
and found out that they could not legally buy hearing protectors without
taking readings of the noise level and giving me a hearing test (OSHA
rules).  During tuning in little practice rooms the sound by my ear was
anywhere from 85 to 110 db during test blows-- well above osha
recommended limits.  Another concern is we are listening to the same
pitches over and over instead of white noise which could strain the ears
even more.  Chances are there are people within your universtiy that can
do this for you.
-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University.