Hearing Problems

Tue Mar 31 08:42 MST 1998

Ed,

I wonder if a slightly different approach might have some value.

There are so many variables in these issues that it is hard to tell
what may or may not work.  What percolates through my alleged
mind at the moment is the issue of psycho-acoustics, e.g., that
reality is a matter of perception.

>From that perspective, is it possible that some judicious shoulder
needling (taking care to avoid the crown, except where clearly
necessary) might create/restore enough resiliance in the hammers
to diminish the parts of the tone found to be objectionable, and,
at the same time, not interfer (well, too much, anyway) with the
"pop" and attendant upper partials which may be necessary to
the perception of this performer?

In writing this, I am thinking of experiences with a poor Hamburg
D, in an almost-too-small hall, with distortion introduced by the system
installed for the hearing impaired.  That system (one of those
nasty, single cheap mike, infrared setups) needed a certain degree
of "zing" in order for users to hear much in the upper range of the piano
at all.  Left to it's own devices, the Hamburg, of course, turned into
one of those "glassy", thin-toned, overloud PSOs that seem so
popular with some, and egregious to everyone else.  The above
method produced a compromise with which everyone seems
comfortable.  (Most certainly, the _tuner_ benefits by not suffering
through each and every tuning.)

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Best.

Horace