Hearing Problems

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue Mar 31 07:27 MST 1998

Ed,

   I don't envy you at all. That could be a very touchy situation. Would
there be any way you could get someone to do a group situation testing at
the school for students and/or faculty? Perhaps with some kind of
presentation on decibel levels and what can cause hearing loss. Do you have
any kind of weekly recital where that could be done as a special
presentation? If you have a sympathetic faculty member who's a good friend
of the person with the suspected problem, maybe their help could be
enlisted.
   I've been thinking about getting a decibel meter and taking readings in
piano major practice rooms (and others with grands) to try and convince the
"powers that be" to install carpet to cut down on the volume level. That
was originally scheduled but when they had to find a way to cut costs, that
is one of the things that went.
   Let us know if you figure out anything. Good luck.

Avery

>     The following is NOT FOR PUBLICATION !!  It is just for us to discuss
>amongst ourselves. OK?
>      I am presently beginning to wonder about the hearing of certain persons
>that are involved in making decisions at our school.  When more and more
>audience, (myself included), are hearing the concert piano as harsh, and a
>faculty member that has a say-so is saying "leave the voicing where it is",  I
>would naturally think it is a musical judgement. However,  that same faculty
>member is beginning to break more and more strings, and beginning to complain
>that he cannot hear other instruments on the stage when he is
>playing....................Anybody out there got some tactful way of getting a
>hearing test suggested?
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Avery Todd, RPT