tuners with hearing aids.

A440A A440A@aol.com
Sun Mar 29 16:22 MST 1998

Dave writes:
<<I think as technicians, we should set the standard, and admit to these
people that we have our ears checked by an audiologist.  If we do it, it
might be easier to make the suggestion for them.>>

    I suppose.  How you want to explain the hardware that can result is
ticklish.

     I had my hearing aid  cased in a "high-tec" gray color, instead of the
semi-flesh pink that is used to hide it on Caucasian users, (like me).  This
approach is one of P.R. I suppose.  Rather than try to hide a hearing aid, I
promote it.  When asked, I explain the use of a hearing aid as the same as
eyeglasses for a surgeon, or a jewelers loupe for a gemologist.
   It is not uncommon for us techs, accustomed to using our ears analytically,
point out things that the average piano owner would never have heard without
us.  They are accustomed to regarding us as "super ears" because we perceive
sound differently.  Adding a "bionic" aspect to this mystique has not hurt me,
and to tell the truth,  I have it tuned very nicely for voicing, and am
hearing things I never heard before.  I can hear a slightly loose center-pin
so clearly, that I don't use it when I tune,  but the voicing is so much
easier, that I wonder how I got away with what I did for years before.
   The discretion that is now available, via computer circuitry, allows some
of the best hearing aids to very selectively amplify those ranges where your
ear is low.  Amazing.,
Regards,
Ed Foote