CAUT Newsletter/ We need you!

David Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Sun Mar 29 14:27 MST 1998

Ed:

The issue of hearing loss is terribly difficult with Helen Homemaker.
With musicians, it is a potentially fatal discourse.  We have had some
fine musicians with the intellegence to wear hearing aids when they
became appropriate.  At the moment, we don't have anyone on the faculty
whom I suspect of not hearing well.  But addressing that issue is a
frightening thing.  Painters going blind, and musicians going deaf is
very difficult - yet the painters will wear glasses, take drops for
glaucoma, or have surgery for their cataracs.

I think as technicians, we should set the standard, and admit to these
people that we have our ears checked by an audiologist.  If we do it, it
might be easier to make the suggestion for them.

dave

--

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts