Repetition Problems

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri Mar 20 09:30 MST 1998

Hello Friends; Danny, Ed, Horace, Ken, and Newton,
     Thank-you for sharing your expert highly informative answers
concerning repetition failure.  Though I haven't had sufficient time to
take all measurements, I now have better understanding of the
contributing reasons.  One major irreversible error of mine, (because
I'm governed by instinct not reason), was to overfile the hammers
resulting in light weight and high regulation.  Next time I'll rely more
on hardener to brighten those dull things up (if I use them again).
Higher rest cushions solved alot of the problems, though for reasons I'm
unsure, some techs consider that "evil".  Atleast it worked as an
immediate "stop gap" approach (get the pun). Longer hammer tails would
definitely help as I'm on the top third of the check at 5/8".   After
much thinking I'll likely replace the hammer heads with custom bore and
just to be sure, longer tails as it looks easier to eliminate wood than
create it. (I'll try it before junking them with Lakeone wood rebuilder
or that kneedable epoxy dough as alittle extra weight wouldn't hurt)
   Comparing shanks to originals, which I fortunately saved, using the
measurements given in Ken Sloans excellent article this month they were
the same except the original rollers were fatter (more oval shaped).
Perhaps they were once larger and have worn or compressed that way.
Thanks again, and hopefully next time I can avoid learning the hard way.

Mike Jorgensen
Misery loves company. so I saved and repeatedly reread your posts.

/