Repetition Problems

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu Mar 19 05:55 MST 1998

Hello University Techs,
   Fast staccato repetition failure on a 1976 D with teflon wippens and
newer shanks.  Hammer gets caught by the check with the jack impailed
against the knuckle.  It's as if the hammer starts cycling faster than
the key eventually jamming up.
    A year and a half ago inorder to "save work",  i ordered "pre-hung"
pre 1984 hammers/shanks from Steinway which turned out to be about 3/32"
out too far out on the shanks.  Consequently the cheek block, fall
board, and key slip all had to be moved out. The pinning was about ten
swings, (much of this I repinned). At first the piano was a dull
tendinitus D.  After MUCH filing and laquering the tone is bright and
touch is light. Perhaps I went too far and have caused geometry
problems.  Your Ideas, Thoughts, Experiences, Solutions with this
problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you in advance
-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University