Symphony Techs

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Mon Jun 29 08:56 MDT 1998

I am looking for Symphony Technicians. I've been told by the management
that my situation with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is unique among
the major orchestras.  The CSO (Cincinnati Symphony) keeps me on a retainer
paying me a little less than $1000 per month to take care of all their
piano keyboard needs with the exception of any Steinways provided them by
the local dealer for Steinway artists. The CSO is a full time orchestra.
The month of August is vacation but I still get paid for that month.
Baldwin provides the CSO with house pianos that belong to their Concert
Artist Division. They loan one SD-10 and one SF-10 that remains in house.
Another SD-10 and SF-10 moves about the city as requested by the CSO for
special concerts and events. For the month of June and July we are at our
summer home outdoors called Riverbend. Baldwin also provides a SD-10 for a
rehearsal room and about four uprights for dressing rooms.  There are 3
other Baldwin grands that belong to the symphony used in various locations
throughout Music Hall.

This year was quite different. Since the begriming of the year (Jan.),
Steinway was used only for two weeks during our choral festival and once
for the Beethoven Choral Fantasy.  We have done thus far six concertos:

Terrence Wilson  - Baldwin
Frank Weinstock -  Steinway
Ms. Chung        - Baldwin
Gerrick Ohlson   - Badlwin
Michael Cherotk  - Baldwin
Barry Douglas    - Steinway Wapin

All told I spend on the average of 8 hours a week working for the CSO.  I
am on call all the time.  It a pretty good guige.  So is there anyone else
out there that has a similar situation?
Michael J. Wathen			For Information about Wapin click on URL below
michael.wathen@uc.edu		http://www.wapin.com