College pianos maintenance schedule

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri Jun 26 07:14 MDT 1998

>I need your help in suggesting a better plan for piano care at the college
>music department where I work. The plan we have now is merely disaster
>control...
>
>...I would also be interested to hear about your college department piano
>tuning, regulating, reconditioning,  and/or rebuilding workload, also how
>many instruments, new instrument purchase plan, etc...
>
>John D. Chapman, rpt

Here is some general information concerning the University I service.

Currently, the pianos have a basic budget for tuning twice per year with
piano performance/guest recitals tunings done prior to each performance.
There is a minimum maintenance allowance set up for each visit per piano.
The amount of money in this maintenance allowance that is not used at the
end of the year is spent on items that do not fall under the tuning and
maintenance concept.  The expenditure of these extra funds is decided by
the powers that be.

There is not a rebuilding program.

There is a new instrument purchase plan currently in place.  Two new pianos
come in for one year.  At the end of the year, one goes, one stays.

There are approx 80 pianos in inventory.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA