Backchecking problem

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Fri Jun 12 17:04 MDT 1998

Thomas D. Seay, III wrote:

>I'm pretty much at my wit's end and if I don't get this resolved soon, I'm
>going to have to take a hostage. Any and all help will be gratefully
>appreciated.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Tom

I don't know that I have anything of value to add, especially after
reading Newton's post, but I have seen what I believe to be a very
similar problem in this vintage and newer Steinways.

On those hammers that are not checking properly, try adjusting the
backchecks to _lower_ the checking.  If the hammers start checking
correctly when the checking is lowered, you have pretty much eliminated
the jack and repetition lever as a part of the problem and can then look
closely at the tail to backcheck relationship.

In other words, when the action is actually in the piano, are you sure
that the bouncing is not because the hammer tails are just catching the
tops of the backchecks, rather than the intended front surfaces?

Kent Swafford