Backchecking problem

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 12 04:54 MDT 1998

Dear list,

I am stumped with the backchecks on this piano. The piano is an early 80s
S&S L with new Premium blue hammers on Renner shanks & flanges and
re-leathered original backchecks. I have CLOSELY regulated key height, dip,
let-off and drop, spring tension, and all the other usual suspects. The
problem is that the hammers absolutely refuse to check when the note is
played at the level of forte or less. They just bounce between the
backcheck and the string. The angle of the backchecks is good and they
check high enough, but I just can't seem to get them to work in the piano.
The problem is particularly bad in the bass and tenor, where the hammers
are larger.

The problem may be in the balancier. When I push the balanciers down, there
seems to be much more spring resistance than normal although the hammer
rise is not particularly fast. The original wippens have been rebuilt and
repinned, so I'm pretty sure that it is a not pinning problem. The slots
are clean and the springs have been cleaned and polished.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end and if I don't get this resolved soon, I'm
going to have to take a hostage. Any and all help will be gratefully
appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tom

Tom Seay