Subjective Inharmonicity

Eric Wolfley eric.wolfley@uc.edu
Fri Jun 5 11:59 MDT 1998

Some of the discussion I've seen here today has involved speculation
involving the qualities of music wire manufactured in years past. There is
an excellent book written on the subject of historic music wire titled "The
Historical Harpsichord, Volume Two: The Metallurgy of 17th and 18th Century
Music Wire"
While this is obviously somewhat off the present subject, some comparisons
to modern music wire are made,and many other interesting facts can be found
including an excellent discussion of inharmonicity as well as a subject I
don't hear many people discussing - subjective inharmonicity. Has anyone
else seen or heard discussion of subjective inharmonicity? I find it an
intriguing idea, and wonder about it a lot when I am tuning the final octave.

Eric Wolfley RPT
University of Cincinnati
College Conservatory of Music
eric.wolfley@uc.edu