whatkindapianoisitanyway?

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Fri Jun 5 10:47 MDT 1998

The results are in:

I placed a 21 1/2 gauge wire on note 88 of our Balwin M.  It made easily up
to pitch.  It broke just slightly above the D#8 pitch. I used the nudge
method for tuning that Coleman suggested. I brought it up to pitch and then
went for lunch before I nudged it up to its breaking point.  The string
broke right at the coil.  What's funny is that it didn't sound all that bad
but that might be due to the fact that it was a Wapin piano.

The calculated tension for when the string broke was 541 lbs. and the
change in pitch changed the breaking point calculation to 92.89 % break point.

Michael J. Wathen			For Information about Wapin click on URL below
michael.wathen@uc.edu		http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu