Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri Jun 5 09:20 MDT 1998

>...In this case -- assuming that your friend isn't up to moving the bridge
>and/or the plate -- I'd
>suggest the following:
>    1)    Change to a #12 1/2 gauge wire at C-88 (and as far down as is
>consistent with good
>scaling).
>    2)    I'd suggest using Mapes International Gold wire. We've been
>using this wire for several
>years with very good success.
>    3)    I'd polish the string bearing surfaces to remove any roughness
>that might be causing
>abnormal drag.
>    4)    If there is any felt between the counterbearing bar and the
>tuning pin, I'd remove it.
>    5)    I'd make sure that the strings do not bind against each other
>between the counterbearing
>bar and the tuning pins.
>    6)    I'd make sure I didn't cause any damage -- i.e., unnecessary
>bends and/or kinks -- to the
>wire during stringing.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del

This thread has been coursing through my veins this morning.  Surely, these
strings *must* be breaking at the coil because they are not rendering.  It
has often been the case that I have overpulled strings by significant
amounts in the high treble end and they have not broken.  Your suggestions,
Del, are the only things that make sense to my way of thinking.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731