whatkindapianoisitanyway?

Michael J. Wathen michael.wathen@uc.edu
Fri Jun 5 08:34 MDT 1998

Below is a chart that illustrates the change in the tension of the wire for
the note 88 on our Baldwin M sitting here in the shop.

gauge	length	hz		tension	BR %	note #
0.031	2.028	4186.01	159.58		65.69	88
0.033	2.028	4186.01	180.83		65.69	88
0.033	2.028	4186.01	180.83		65.69	88
0.035	2.028	4186.01	203.41		65.69	88
0.037	2.028	4186.01	227.33		65.69	88
0.039	2.028	4186.01	252.57		65.69	88
0.041	2.028	4186.01	279.13		65.69	88
0.043	2.028	4186.01	307.03		65.69	88
0.045	2.028	4186.01	336.26		65.69	88
0.047	2.028	4186.01	366.81		65.69	88
0.048	2.028	4186.01	382.59		65.69	88

I will put a 0.048" diameter wire on this note 88.  It is a single string
with its own hitch pin.  I will tell you at what pitch it breaks.  Place
your bets now.  The results will be listed on the Wapin web page at
precisely 2 PM ESTD.  Just kidding......

By the way I just talked with the rebuilder.  He was able to make a half
bridge cap for ten notes and relocate the terminating pins to get the
desired length.  He hasn't strung it up yet.
Michael J. Wathen			For Information about Wapin click on URL below
michael.wathen@uc.edu		http://ucccm56.ccm.uc.edu