rejuvenating key bushings with steam

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu Jun 4 18:48 MDT 1998

The short length of time a key rebush job lasts in a heavy use
institutional  environment is daunting. How often can we afford to
rebush? Every five years  or less?

If you polish the key pins with FLITZ metal polish then lubricate with
McLube clear or GlideAll and lubricate the bushings with the same you
can make a set of bushings last ten to fifteen years before needing
rebushing.  Having worked in a university setting I have had piano
performance coaching studios feel like rebushed yesterday after ten
years of use using this procedure.

I like the steam idea.  I have also wanted to use warm water and Woolite
for soaking bushings and then inserting cauls for sizing.  Repolish
pins, relube all and set out for a long term test.

                                      Newton
                                      nhunt@jagat.com