Bell bolts on Steinways

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Thu Jul 30 02:55 MDT 1998

Horace, Del, List

	I was fortunate know Leonard Jared enough to be able to visit his shop
and remember some exhortations about screwing the bell bolt too tight
without taking into consideration a whole bunch of circumstances. Lenoard
was a great teacher, and would not set you up as one with a little
knowledge that might be dangerous. Like a good teacher he knew what I
knew, and didn't bother with stuff over my head. But boy did he have a way
of bringing up your level of knowldege, as if narrowing the great abyss
between what he knew and what you knew to a mere chasm. And if he were
here to day and could be induced to post to caut, I am sure he would
reply, "Well yes, Richard, but  your chasm is the Grand Canyon." That
would be typical Leonard, but what else can a great teacher say?

	So if anyone has anything more to say about the bell bolts on Steinways,
like how should I inspect it the first time I see it on a new client's
piano, or assuming I just came on as a caut, what should I look for, from
piano to piano, (would that be from B to C to D ?) such advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Richard Moody