Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Wed Jul 29 09:35 MDT 1998

Horace Greeley wrote:

> Del,
>
> I absolutely agree.
>
> That's why I said "relatively minute".  Like so much else in this
> work, one thing may serve several purposes.  I should note that
> common practice (in some circles) when installing a "CountryMan"
> pickup was the removal of both the bell bolt and the screwed down
> strut. I do not ever remember an instrument in which this made an
> appreciable difference in net tone.
>
> Also, I picked up this habit from an old S&S frog, as well as Keith
> Hardesty and Leonard Jared.  Having used it as a process for
> some time now, I can relate no broken plates, and many, many
> "improved" instruments.
>
> On the other hand, as noted above, I completely concur with your
> structural analysis.
>
> Best!
>
> Horace

Horace,

Often there won't be much difference in tone either with or without the bell &
bolt. Other times there will be significant difference in sustain -- there will be
longer sustain with the b&b in place than there will be with it missing. I suspect
-- though I've done no testing at all on this -- the difference comes from the
particular arrangement used with the rear bearing bar, i.e., the length of the
back scale.

It is not a structural piece so there will be no damage to the plate if it is
removed. There could be if the bolt were over tightened, I suppose, but you'd have
to be really aggressive to get the bolt that tight.

Regards,

Del