Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Wed Jul 29 08:44 MDT 1998

Del,

I absolutely agree.

That's why I said "relatively minute".  Like so much else in this
work, one thing may serve several purposes.  I should note that
common practice (in some circles) when installing a "CountryMan"
pickup was the removal of both the bell bolt and the screwed down
strut. I do not ever remember an instrument in which this made an
appreciable difference in net tone.

Also, I picked up this habit from an old S&S frog, as well as Keith
Hardesty and Leonard Jared.  Having used it as a process for
some time now, I can relate no broken plates, and many, many
"improved" instruments.

On the other hand, as noted above, I completely concur with your
structural analysis.

Best!

Horace

At 08:35 PM 7/28/1998 -0700, you wrote:

>Horace Greeley wrote:
>
>> It might also be that the bell bolt is too tight.
>>
>> Bear in mind that the function of the bell bolt is the _relatively minute_
>> adjustment of bearing . . . .

>Horace,
>
>I'm not sure I can agree with this statement. The bell and the accompanying
>coupling bolt provide a means of mass-coupling the plate hitch pin panel
to the
>relatively massive wood rim assembly. In practice this mechanism helps to
>prevent the hitch pin panel from vibrating sympathetically with, and bleeding
>energy from, the strings. It raises the mechanical impedance of the plate
>assembly.
>
>The coupling bolt needs to be only tight enough to accomplish this coupling
>function. Not enough to appreciably affect string bearing.
>
>Regards,
>
>Del

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT

Systems Analyst/Engineer