Letter to PTG Technical Editor (fwd)

Tue Jul 28 21:37 MDT 1998

Horace Greeley wrote:

> It might also be that the bell bolt is too tight.
>
> Bear in mind that the function of the bell bolt is the _relatively minute_
> adjustment of bearing . . . .

Horace,

I'm not sure I can agree with this statement. The bell and the accompanying
coupling bolt provide a means of mass-coupling the plate hitch pin panel to the
relatively massive wood rim assembly. In practice this mechanism helps to
prevent the hitch pin panel from vibrating sympathetically with, and bleeding
energy from, the strings. It raises the mechanical impedance of the plate
assembly.

The coupling bolt needs to be only tight enough to accomplish this coupling
function. Not enough to appreciably affect string bearing.

Regards,

Del